Aggressive Defense Counsel for Violent Crimes in Florida
The criminal justice system seeks swift punishment for violent offenders. If you are charged with a federal violent crime, you face the harshest penalties of the law. Without experienced legal counsel, you could spend the rest of your life behind bars. At the Law Office of Nayib Hassan, P.A., we understand exactly what you are up against. To help you construct a solid criminal defense we leave no stone unturned. Whether you are arrested for kidnapping, murder, or any other violent offense, we are ready to help you fight back.
Federal jurisdiction applies to kidnapping cases under the following circumstances:
- The victim is willfully transported in interstate or foreign commerce
- The crime occurs within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States
- The crime occurs within the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States
- The victim is a foreign official, an internationally protected person, or an official guest as those terms are defined in 18 U.S.C. § 1116(b)
- The victim is a Federal officer or employee designated in 18 U.S.C. § 1114
- International parental kidnapping in which the victim is a child under the age of 16 years.
In most cases, federal jurisdiction does not apply to kidnapping cases where a minor child is taken by a parent. However, federal charges may be brought if the child is under 16 and taken abroad.
While carjacking is prosecuted on both the state and federal level, many carjacking offenders are charged in federal court. According to 18 U.S.C. § 211, carjacking is a serious offense punishable by up to 15 years in prison. If bodily injury occurs, the penalty becomes up to 25 years in a federal prison. In the event that the carjacking results in a death, you face up to life imprisonment or death. Keep in mind that you may also face costly fines depending on the details of your case.
Federal Charges for Murder
Murder is the most serious crime in the criminal justice system. Federal charges may be brought against a defendant accused of the following:
- Drug-related murders
- Murder for hire
- Murder of a federal judge or law enforcement agent
- Killing of an immediate family member of a law enforcement official
- Murder of an elected/appointed federal official
- Murder to influence the outcome of a court case
- Murder committed during bank robbery
- Murder related to rape, or the sexual exploitation of children
- Murder aboard a ship
- Murder by mail
If you arrested on federal murder charges, you need experienced legal help. Without the right lawyer by your side, you risk your reputation and freedom.